Wednesday, January 13, 2016

2nd developer role

When I first got the job, I was very excited!! The location forbids the use of high-end phone and I immediately got a low end one.

For the first few weeks, my batch of newbies stayed at the HQ, while clearance was in process. My batch had a guy and a girl. The guy was from army, if I remember right, and the girl was fresh from school.

With my previous experience, I behaved like a senior. The guy was a smart one, and told me to take care of him. From time to time, I also told the girl what's each app used for.

Soon, we finally went on to join our respective projects. The girl was with me in the project. At that point of the project, everyone was simply playing games on the computer. I dunno why. We had to find ways to kill time. And somehow I had difficulty mixing in.

The last straw came when a teammate messed too much with me and I simply wanted to leave. I then asked to switch project.

Back then, I only knew we can ask to switch projects. I dinno of any repercussions.

Only when another project lead took me in, and told me that, if she didn't take me in, I'll be back to HQ idling and seen as a problematic staff. God knew when I'll be assigned to another project.

Anyway, at the new project, I again have problem mixing in. Especially since the usual room was already packed, and I was put into a newly acquired room, with only me inside. Somehow I was left alone in the room and had no idea what to do. No documentation etc. When I reflected it to the team lead, she said her intentions were to give me time to play and familiarize myself with the system. I dinno that.

The lead did her best in integrating me and them, by telling me how to mix with a leading female colleague. And the other colleagues also tried their best in talking to me.

For someone with a developer background, I ended up doing laptop set-up . I was disappointed. And also.some non developer related data generation stuff. Come to think of it, it could be that the team lead dinno what else I can help out with, and gave me the task.

Then one fine day, I saw a colleague sending out resumes. It then dawned upon me, that I could start looking around again.

No comments: