Sunday, February 13, 2005

During CNY, Channel 5 had a telecast of Mulan, the English adaption of the Chinese ancient story. I taped it down and am watching it now.

The opening scenes, which Mulan was trying very much to be herself (read: not a typical soft girl), and being filial to her family (read: marrying a male to bring honour to her family), somehow is reflecting me, or maybe even our mentality. Or perhaps situation.

Some of us don't have a chance to be ourselves. For fear of something. She also wanted to be herself. But there was no such a chance. As it would probably disgrace her family in the olden days. Finally the chance came, when the emperor conscripted her father for service. And she, to protect her family and father, took the chance to do soemthing for her family.

She was trying to persuade her father not to go for it, but she failed. In the end, she went for service on his behalf.

I'm pretty touched by all these. I'm not sure how to put it, but she sure did soemthing for her family.

My close friends have taught me (with themselves unaware of it) how to be a good friend, and be a friend in need. Now, whenever friends that are worth my assistance need my help, I will surely offer it. If I'm unable to, I will probably feel sad.

When I saw that Mulan was down cos she failed to persuade her dad not to join the army, I felt her sadness....

No comments: